The Pegasus Memorial is dedicated to the men of 6th Airborne Division and their role during the Battle of Normandy from June to September 1944. The capture of the River Orne bridge at Ranville and the bridge across the Caen Canal at Bénouville is the most famous mission of the airborne division. 180 troops of the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry, commanded by Major John Howard, captured the bridges after landing in Horsa gliders only metres from their objectives.In less than ten minutes both bridges had been captured intact. The sea borne reinforcements commanded by Brigadier Lord Lovat, crossed the waterways to reinforce 6th Airborne Division on the eastern flank. Among these were Green Berets, 177 French Commandos commanded by Philip Kieffer.On June 26th 1944, the Caen Canal bridge was baptised Pegasus Bridge as a tribute to the British troops. Pegasus, the winged horse, was the emblem worn on the sleeves of the men of the airborne division.