copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2020 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War II
Return To Links
Name: Rank: Service No: Service: Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Eye Colour: Hair Colour: Trade: Marital Status: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Death: Age at Death: Cemetery: Reference:
Frederick William Hood
Frederick William Hood Pilot Officer J/88657 57 RAF Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force April 28, 1923 Ottawa, Ontario May 27, 1942 Halifax, NS 19 5 feet, 5 inches fair blue brown Clerk (National Fish Company Ltd., Halifax) Single Church of England Thomas Hood (Father) Halifax, NS July 5, 1944 21 Aubermesnil Churchyard, Seine-Maritime, France Collective Grave Commemorated on page 338 of the Second World War Book of Remembrance Displayed in the Memorial Chamber of the Peace Tower in Ottawa on July 21 Pilot Officer Hood was the son of Commander Thomas Hood, Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve, and Mabel Wallace Hood, of Bear River, Annapolis Co., NS. He was the brother of Thomas Ronald Hood, Henry Alexander Hood, Patricia (Hood) Hewitt, and Ruth (Hood) MacDonald. Frederick was born in Ontario where he lived until the age of two and eighteen years in Nova Scotia. At the time of his enlistment the family resided in Halifax. Frederick completed grade 10 and one year of Diesel engineering at Nova Scotia Tech. His hobby was boat model building. Following his training in Canada he went overseas in May, 1943 and was initially assigned to RAF Trainees Pool. He joined 57 RAF Squadron on April 30, 1944. Lancaster aircraft JB.723 of 57 Squadron took off from RAF East Kirkby, Lincolnshire at 23.22 hours on July 4, 1944 to attack St. Leu D’Esserent in northern France. The aircraft failed to return from the operation. Pilot Officer Hood was the Navigator on the flight. In 1946 it was confirmed that the aircraft crashed in flames with no survivors. The remains of the crew were buried in two coffins by the Germans immediately after the crash and the following day. Individual identification was not possible.