copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2020 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War II
Return To Links
Name: Rank: Service No: Service: Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Eye Colour: Hair Colour: Trade: Marital Status: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Death: Age at Death: Cemetery: Grave Reference:
William Joy
William Joy Signalman F/95886 Royal Canadian Corps of Signals October 26, 1923 Shannon, Queens Co., New Brunswick May 19, 1942 Kentville, NS Paradise, Annapolis Co., NS 18 5 feet, 7 inches Medium Hazel Dark Brown Farm Labourer Single Church of England William Joy (Uncle) Bishopville, Hants Co., NS February 28, 1944 20 Cataraqui Cemetery, Kingston, Ontario Soldiers Plot Sec. G. Range 3. Grave 14. Commemorated on page 349 of the Second World War Book of Remembrance Displayed in the Memorial Chamber of the Peace Tower in Ottawa on July 27 William Joy was the son of James Joy (1888-1933) and Maizo Taxuar (Wells) Joy (1888-1939). On the death of his parents he moved from New Brunswick to Nova Scotia and lived with his uncle, William Joy. He was the brother of James Douglas, Percy, James, Maizo, Katherine, and Annie. He completed grade eight at age thirteen at which time he left school and began working on the farm At enlistment, Private Joy was taken on strength at #6 Depot at Halifax until June 15, 1942 when he was transferred to #60 CABTC Yarmouth, NS. He completed training at Yarmouth on August 12, 1942, and was taken on strength with the Royal Canadian Signal Corps of Signals at Kingston Ontario. He began training as a Despatch Rider. In late January, 1943 he developed a cold and pneumonia and was admitted to the Kingston Military Hospital. There, he was diagnosed with tuberculosis and recommended for sanatorium care. Unable to meet the medical requirements of military service, Signalman Joy was honourably discharged on March 1, 1943 at Vimy Barracks, Kingston, Ontario. He remained in hospital where he died of pulmonary tuberculosis on February 28, 1944, aged 20 years. He served 287 days