copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2019 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
Arthur Burgess Force: Army Regiment: Canadian Artillery Battalion: 5th Siege Battery Regimental Number: 91880 Rank: Gunner Date of Birth: March 17, 1891 Place of Birth: Alton, Hants, England Date of Enlistment: September 29, 1915 Place of Enlistment: Halifax, N.S. Address at Enlistment: Yarmouth, N.S. Age at Enlistment: 24 Height: 5 Feet, 8 Inches Trade: Messenger; Dominion Express Marital Status: Single Religion: Church of England Next of Kin: (Mother) Mrs. Mary Burgess, West Hants Lodge, Bassingstoke, Hants, England Arthur Burgess was a native of England and came to Canada just prior to World War I. He was an express messenger on-board the Halifax and Southwestern Railway. In this capacity he spent each Monday, Wednesday and Friday night in Yarmouth. He enlisted in Halifax on September 29, 1915 with the No 1 Overseas Heavy Battery and in England served with the 5th Battery Canadian Siege Artillery. He died as a result of an accident. Date of Death: October 9, 1917 Cemetery: Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez, Pas de Calais, France Plot: II. A. 2. Souchez is a village 3.5 kilometres north of Arras Commemorated on Page 210 of the First World War Book of Remembrance Displayed in the Memorial Chamber of the Peace Tower in Ottawa on May 13 Commemorated on the Yarmouth Monument Sources: Library and Archives Canada (Attestation Paper) Commonwealth War Grave Commission Commonwealth War Grave Commission (Cemetery Information) Canadian Great War Project Veterans Affairs Canada Additional Information: “A Monument Speaks” A Thurston; 1989 (pp 61-62)
Gunner Arthur Burgess
Return to Casualty List Return To Links
Attestation Paper (click to enlarge)
At 3 pm October 9, No 91880 Gunner Arthur Burgess was working in the artificers’ shop when a small explosion was heard. On others entering the shop Gunner Burgess was found to have been badly injured by an explosion and died twenty minutes later.  The cause of the explosion is unknown but pieces of a No 106 fuse were found nearby.  Gunner Burgess was unconsciousness when found and did not make any statement.