copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
Return to Casualty List Return To Links
Arthur Muise 733646 Private 112th Battalion; Royal Canadian Regiment August 3, 1896 Surette's Island, Yarmouth Co., NS December 21, 1915 Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Yarmouth, Nova Scotia 19 5 Feet 5 Inches fair brown brown 29th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery / Home Guard Single Can Maker Roman Catholic John C. Muise, (Father), Yarmouth, Nova Scotia October 1, 1918 22 Bucquoy Road Cemetery, Ficheux, France III. B. 37. Commemorated on Page 475 of the First World War Book of Remembrance Displayed in the Memorial Chamber of the Peace Tower in Ottawa on October 9 Arthur was the son of John C. Muise and Monique Muise of Commercial Street, Yarmouth, NS. Prior to enlisting he worked at Hugh Cann & Son Limited. Nelson Muise, also a casualty, was a brother. He enlisted with the 112th Battalion and trained in Canada between December, 1915 and July, 1916. He embarked Canada at Halifax on July 23, 1916 and disembarked at Liverpool on July 31, 1916. He sailed on the SS Olympic. At Bramshott Camp he was transferred to the 26th Reserve Battalion on February 3, 1917 and on March 4 proceeded overseas for service with the Royal Canadian Regiment. He landed in France on March 8, 1917 and left to join the RCR in the field on March 12. In November of 1917, Arthur was suffering from trench foot and fever, a condition caused by prolonged exposure of the feet to damp, unsanitary, and cold conditions. Some 74,000 allied troops had been afflicted during WWI. He was initially taken to No. 12 Casualty Clearing Station on November 17, and on November 23 was returned to England. He spent some fifty-five days in hospital both at Brook War Hospital, Woolwich, and at No 4 Canadian General Hospital at Bassingstoke. All foot sores healed and there was no disability at his discharge to the Command Depot at Bramshott. On March 15, 1918 he was assigned to the 17th Reserve Battalion and again proceeded to France on July 21, 1918 and joined the unit on August 21, 1918. On October 1, 1918 Private Arthur Muise died of wounds in the 33rd Casualty Clearing Station, France, as a result of gunshot wounds to the abdomen.
Arthur Muise
Name: Service No: Rank: Battalion/Service: Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Hair Colour: Eye Colour: Previous Military: Martial Status: Trade: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Death: Age at Death: Cemetery: Grave Reference: