copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
Return To Links
Name: Elmer Lloyd Smith Military Service: United States Army 5th Co. 2nd Training Battalion, 151st Depot Brigade Date of Birth: October 12, 1896 Place of Birth: Little River Harbour, Yarmouth Co., NS US Draft Registration: June 5, 1918 Place of Registration: Local Board, Division No. 2, Aroostock Co., Fort Fairfield, Maine Eyes: Blue Hair: Brown Address at Registration: Caribou, Maine, US Employer at Registration: Garfield Grant (Caribou, Maine, US) Date of Enlistment: September 2, 1918 Date of Death: September 29, 1918 Age at Death: 22 Place of Death: Camp Devens, Massachusetts, U.S. Cause of Death: Influenza Cemetery: Arcadia Cemetery, Arcadia, Yarmouth Co., NS. Grave Reference: (Family Plot) Elmer Lloyd Smith was the son of John (Jonathan) Smith (1870-1957) and Phoebe Eudora or Dora (Beals) Smith (1876-1957) of Little River Harbour and Plymouth, Yarmouth Co., Nova Scotia. Born in Little River Harbour, Elmer was the eldest of ten children. He lived in Melbourne, Yarmouth County, until 21 years of age, when he moved to Maine. Several weeks before his death he was in Yarmouth when he received his call-up notice ordering him to report for military service with the Canadian or the United States Army. He returned to the United States. He was in training at Fort Devens, Massachusetts when he contracted influenza. During the fall of 1918, almost half of the approximately 35,000 soldiers at Camp Devens were stricken with influenza, resulting in more than 800 deaths. Private Smith died on September 29, 1918. His body was returned home from Camp Devens accompanied by Sergeant Ralph Morrell, of the U.S. Army. He was buried in the family plot in the Arcadia Cemetery.
Elmer Lloyd Smith
Return to Casualty List Hq 5th Co 151 Depot Brigade September 30, 1918  My Dear Mrs. Smith  The sympathy of the entire Company accompanies that of myself and brother officers of this Co. to you and the family of our late comrade in arms. His length of service was so short in the army, a matter of a few days, that he did not have the opportunity to distinguish himself as I am certain he would have providing the good Power that governs all things had allowed that to be. Though I knew the men who came with the last draft but slightly, I never had to cause a reprimand to be given to your dear son. On Sunday I visited the Base Hospital and found that his condition was very low. The nurse and medical officer in attendance gave me no hope.  The end came an hour after I saw him. His condition did not permit him to recognize me at this time. With these thoughts of his danger I tried to locate a nearer relative, that is, nearer in locality, but was unable to determine such from the men in the Co. at the time.  The name and address of his employer in Caribou, Maine was phoned to Base Hospital. Along with you I am extremely sorry that his life had to be given at all and especially on this side of the ocean before he had a chance to do credit on the field of battle. May thoughts of the past serve to brighten your future years,  Yours Sincerely, Harold T. Stilwell, Captain Infantry, U.S.A. Com. 5th Company