copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
Return To Links
Tracey Thomas Sweeney
Return to Casualty List
Name: Service No: Rank: Battalion/Service: Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Eye Colour: Hair Colour: Previous Military: Martial Status: Trade: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Death: Cemetery: Grave Reference:
Tracey Thomas Sweeney 470981 Private 64th Battalion/ 12th Reserve Battalion 25th Battalion October 26, 1891 Yarmouth, NS December 10, 1915 Halifax HMCS Niobe 24 5 Feet, 9 inches medium grey dark brown HMCS Niobe (16 months) Single 1st Class Stoker Roman Catholic Nellie Sweeney (Mother) Yarmouth, NS July 24, 1916 Ridge Wood Military Cemetery, Belgium (Plot: III. R. I.) Commemorated on Page 170 of the First World War Book of Remembrance Displayed in the Memorial Chamber of the Peace Tower in Ottawa on April 18 Tracey Sweeney, received a discharge from HMCS Niobe on December 7, 1915, and enlisted with the 64th Battalion at Halifax on December 10, 1915. On February 25, 1916, while training in Halifax, he was admitted to the Rockhead Military Hospital, a quarantine hospital at Rockhead in the northern part of the city, suffering from rheumatic fever. He returned to his unit on March 15, 1916. On April 9, 1916, having departed Halifax on the SS Adriatic on March 31, 1916, Private Sweeney disembarked in Liverpool England. While at Shorncliffe Camp, on June 24, 1916 he was transferred to the 12th Reserve Battalion and on June 28 was transferred to the 25th Battalion. The following day, June 29, Private Sweeney arrived at the Canadian Base Depot in France and was taken on strength with the 25th Battalion. He proceeded to join his unit on July 12, 1916 and arrived in the field on July 13, 1916. Eleven days later, Private Sweeney was killed in action when enemy artillery shelled his unit’s position at Bois Carre during the Battle of the Somme.