copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War II Yarmouth Connections
Return To Links
Herbert Eugene Nickerson
Name: Rank: Service No: Service: Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address At Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Eyes: Hair: Trade: Marital Status: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Death: Age at Death: Cemetery: Grave Reference:
Herbert Eugene Nickerson Private SF/668 The Royal Canadian Regiment January 10. 1927 Woods Harbour, Shelburne Co., NS July 23, 1943 (under age) April 19, 1945 Halifax Lower East Pubnico, Yarmouth Co., NS 18 (1945) 5 feet, 8 ½ inches Blue Brown Labourer Single Baptist Deborah Nickerson (Mother) Lower East Pubnico, NS November 8, 1946 19 Greenwood Cemetery, Lower Wood's Harbour, NS Family Plot Commemorated on Page 588 of the Second World War Book of Remembrance. Displayed in the Memorial Chamber of the Peace Tower in Ottawa on December 13 Herbert Eugene Nickerson was the son of Roy Lester Nickerson (1894-1983) and Deborah Nickerson of Lower East Pubnico, Yarmouth Co., NS. His father was formerly a member of the RCMP patrol and served in the Navy during WWII and a Veteran of WWI. Herbert was the brother of Earle, Dorothy, Florence, and Thalia Nickerson. He completed grade seven at the age of sixteen and worked six months on the family farm and four months as a freight handler prior to his first enlistment. Private Nickerson initially joined the Canadian Infantry Corps on July 23, 1943 at the age of sixteen. His service number was F/66818. He was at #60 CABTC Yarmouth for basic training and was posted to “C” Company. When the military determined he was under age he was discharged on October 26, 1943. When he turned eighteen he re-enlisted in Halifax on April 19, 1945. On May 3, 1945 he was taken on strength at #60 CIBTC Yarmouth, NS. His military records of 1945 described him as “a well built, clear eyed, healthy looking youth with a rather quiet unsmiling manner”. He had little interest in sports but did play softball. He enjoyed the outdoors and did some skating, hunting, and fishing. His favourite past time was spending time in the evenings with a group of young people. Under the existing military rules he was still considered under age until January 10, 1946. He completed his training in Yarmouth on September 16, 1945 and was taken on strength for advanced training at A-14 CITC Camp Aldershot. On November 14, 1945 he was admitted to the Aldershot Military Hospital and discharged on November 23, 1945. After a privilege leave and Christmas leave between December 10, 1945 and December 28, 1945 he was taken on strength with the Royal Canadian Regiment at Brookville, Ontario. While in Brockville he was hospitalized, suffering from acute appendicitis. He died in hospital on November 8, 1946. He was buried on November 12, 1946 in the Greenwood Cemetery, Lower Wood's Harbour, NS.