copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2020 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering WWII Nova Scotia Casualties
Douglas MacRae Ross
Name: Service No: Rank: Service: Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Trade: Religion: Marital Status: Next of Kin: Date of Death: Age at Death; Cemetery: Additional Information:
Ross, Douglas MacRae R/76228 Flight Sergeant Wireless Operator/Air Gunner 35 RAF Squadron Royal Canadian Air Force January 22, 1913 North East Margaree, N.S. November 21, 1940 27 Halifax North East Margaree, N.S. School Teacher United Church of Canada Single Thomas E. Ross (Father) North East Margaree, N.S. July 26, 1942 29 Uden War Cemetery, Netherlands Joint grave 4. A. 10-11 Commemorated on Page 111 of the Second World War Book of Remembrance Displayed in the Memorial Chamber of the Peace Tower in Ottawa on March 9 Flight Sergeant Ross was the son of Thomas Ethbridge and Annie Jean MacRae Ross, of North East Margaree, Inverness Co., Cape Breton, NS. He was a school teacher between 1931 and 1940. He was senior high school teacher at Port Hood Academy just prior to enlistment. Following his initial air training in Canada he departed for the United Kingdom on September 18, 1941. On June 12, 1942 he was assigned from 22 Operational Training Unit to 35 RAF Squadron at Linton-on-Ouse. 35 Squadron was part of Bomber Command. On July 25/26, 1942 the Handley Page Halifax II W1147 aircraft in which Flight Sergeant Ross was the wireless operator/air gunner participated in air operations against Duisburg. 313 aircraft took part in the raid, including 177 Wellingtons, 48 Stirlings, 41 Halifaxes, 33 Lancasters, and 14 Hampdens. 12 aircraft did not return. 7 Wellingtons, 2 Halifaxes, 2 Lancasters, and 1 Stirling were lost. Flight Sergeant Ross was killed when his aircraft crashed near 's-Hertogenbosch, Holland. His brother, Lieutenant Alexander Bentick Ross was killed while training in England on February 1, 1944.