copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
Return to Casualty List Return To Links
Raymond Dayton Suttie
Name: Service No: Rank: Battalion/Service: Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Hair Colour: Eye Colour: Martial Status: Trade: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Death: Age at Death: Cemetery:
Raymond Dalton Suttie 415849 Private 40th Battalion January 15, 1897 Wolfville, NS August 12, 1915 Aldershot, NS Yarmouth, NS 18 5 feet,3 ¾ inches fresh brown brown Single Plumber Wesleyan Laura Maud Suttie, (Mother) Vancouver St., Yarmouth, NS September 25, 1921 (Yarmouth, NS) 24 Mountain Cemetery, Yarmouth NS (Family Plot: West side on short path) Commemorated on Page 560 of the First World War Book of Remembrance Displayed in the Memorial Chamber of the Peace Tower in Ottawa on November 30, December 1 and 2 Listed on the Nominal Role of the 40th Battalion as ‘Guy’ Suttie Listed on the Yarmouth Memorial Ray was the son of Alfred B Suttie and Laura Maud (Eldridge) Suttie of Vancouver St., Yarmouth. He was the twin brother of Guy Kierstead Suttie (1897-1954) and brother to Alfred (b.1887), Grace (b. 1889), and Eva (b.1893). Guy Kierstead Suttie also served with the 40th and 64th Battalions enlisting at Sussex on August 19, 1915. Ray and Guy Suttie were cousins of Private James Harold Suttie who was wounded and died October 14, 1918 He enlisted with the 40th Battalion at Aldershot and trained in Quebec at Valcartier Camp. He departed Canada at Halifax on the SS Saxonia on October 18, 1915 and disembarked at Liverpool, England on October 28. He was first admitted to hospital with influenza and a cold on November 4, 1915 and was discharged on November 9, 1915. On February 17, 1916 he was admitted to Moore Barracks Hospital at Shorncliffe and diagnosed with tuberculosis. He was transferred to Hermatedge Hospital at Hasting on March 11, 1916 and on March 26, 1916 to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Monks Horton seven miles north of Shorncliffe in Kent. No longer considered medical fit for military service, Private Suttie was returned to Canada on the SS Scandinavian in May 1916. He was discharged from hospital at Quebec on December 6, 1916 and unable to work was granted a disability pension on December 12, 1916. Ray returned to Yarmouth on discharge and continued in ill health until his death at the family home on September 25, 1922. The funeral took place from his parents’ home at 2:30 pm September 29 under the auspices of the Great War Veterans Association and was the first to be held under their guidance since the inception of that organization in Yarmouth. About fifty of his comrades, in uniform, attended under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas M. Seeley and as the procession proceeded south on Main Street to Parade Street, the slow even tread of the march with the measured beat of a deeply muffled drum gave the procession an air of deep solemnity. The services were conducted by Chaplain Rev. Herbert Thomas Gornall, Paster of the Wesleyan Church and Chaplain of the 13th Reserve Battalion in England in 1918-1919. The singing was led by a mixed quartet of Marion Ferguson, Eva Churchill, Lieutenant Colonel Seeley, and Lalchler Tyler Barnes. Interment was in the Mountain Cemetery where at the conclusion of the service, a squad of fourteen men fired three volleys and Private Charles F. Roy sounded “Last Post” on trumpet. The bearers were comrades Dr. Alexander Rae Campbell, Lalchler Tyler Barnes, Earl Miller and Leslie Bethune.
Sources: Canadian Virtual War Memorial Library and Archives Canada “A Monument Speaks” A. Thurston; p. 334
photo: Wartime Heritage 2018